First off, a little about me. I am a medical doctor, with experience in the state and private sectors in South Africa, and more recently in the first world. I have spent the majority of my time working since my community service in what felt like a deeply rural hospital (and was staffed like one), although it isn't.. it is a referral hospital, for rather a large area. At this hospital, I spent my time split almost equally between surgery (daytime hours), and anaesthetics (after hours). I am currently looking for a post to begin specialising in surgery. I will let you know what happens in this regard in due course..
Secondly, my intentions for this blog:
- I believe I have a rather unique viewpoint from inside the operating theatre, in that I have experience from working on both sides of the so-called 'blood-brain barrier', sometimes even at the same time, and that this would make for some entertaining reading.
- It is a way to share interesting experiences, ideas, and case studies, and sometimes even give some advice I myself would have liked to have had.
- It is a means to de-brief, and even 'rant' if necessary.
- It is a place to share successes/ failures/ joys and frustrations.
- My wife has a blog, and I need to show her I can do it too.
- And lastly, I should be studying, and this is another means of procrastination.